Sunday, December 31, 2006

I'm Outta Here!

I love New Years Eve. "Why?" you ask. That was a well placed question. Otherwise, I might have blogged away for several hundred words and said nothing. So . . . to the point.

I love New Years Eve because life hands me -- once a year -- the opportunity to legitimately drive my wife nuts. All day long, with everything I do, I take a deep sigh and say things like, "This is the last time I'll ever have an egg for breakfast . . . this year!"

It's usually funny the first time or two but by late morning she is ready to kill me. At some point she will quit talking to me. That's when I have to start getting her to make me say it. It goes something like this. We will be listening to a playlist on my iPod Hi-Fi and I'll comment upon one of the artists, "I always liked their use of the saxophone." "Yeah, I do to." she'll respond. "Too bad it's the last time we'll ever hear it . . . this year." I casually work it in.

Or: "Mmmm. I like this bean dip. Who'd we get the recipe from?"

"We got it at Susan and Mike's party"

"Oh yeah, that's right. I guess we won't ever be seeing them again . . . this year!"


And so on and so forth.

Why do I do this to my poor, lovely wife. I look at it this way. I think there is only so much humor and good will allotted to us each year -- and I want to use all of ours up.


PS: This will be the last blog I'll ever write . . . this year.

.

No comments: