Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Of Black and White and Shades of Gray

I've mentioned numerous times that I like old black and white movies. This is true. In fact, my favorite decade for old movies is the 30's. I often use the cliche' "They don't make 'em like that anymore."

In the past several days I've had an opportunity to see two modern productions presented in black and white. The first one was a film noir-ish episode of Monk. The other was a sequence of a Tom Arnold movie called Chasing Christmas. Both were well done, well written, well acted and had decent production values. Neither one, in my opinion, worked.

I think this is because the authentic old movies brought with them a reflection of everything that that time was made of. The hopes and dream of everyone from the costume department to the director made it to the silver screen. The times, the politics; the depression, prohibition; the dust bowl, and gangsters. All were reflected through the writing and the actors. The attitudes necessary to perform the roles were genuine and true. And the movies, back then, captured the comedy and pathos of the times.

Having re-read that last paragraph I've also come to realize that all of those things are still true of today's movies. Sure, the special effects and action sequences are light years ahead of the old movies, but the heart of the current movies are still comprised of the times in which they are being created. They still reflect the cultural attitudes and political landscape. They are a mirror of these times and, in time, will either praise or condemn us to future audiences.

So what makes me a fan of the old time movies? I think it is because the issues back then were more black and white. In our Technicolor world there are too many shades of gray. People make too many deals with the devil. We trade away our values for trinkets anymore. And it is getting worse because we, as a nation and as a society, are not being permitted to pass on what values we have left. In a land that purports to honor diversity, faith and morality must hide their heads in shame for fear of offending the new comers. "Merry Christmas" and a simple prayer of thanks can get you sued.

Maybe watching the old time movies is escapism. But isn't all entertainment? I think maybe the old movies are a better place to escape to. Back then, people could do far more with far less. And I am beginning to understand that, more than their "production values", I appreciate their values.

They truly don't make 'em like that anymore.

.

No comments: