Friday, December 29, 2006

Resolutions

I resolve to be a better person. I don't think I am a bad person now. But there are little things about me that bug the shit out of me and since I spend so much time with myself, I figure it's either this or a very nasty argument down the road. I'm not entirely sure I can win that one so I am pre-emptively giving in. At least, later on, I can claim the moral high ground.

My first resolution is to lose some winter weight. I know -- it's just barely winter so where did the weight come from? Inactivity, over eating, and too much booze. How's that for honesty? I have a very strict diet of raw beets and sauerkraut that always works. It's sort of an involuntary bulimia thing. It's been in the family for years.

My second resolution is more exercise. I already exercise every day. I have a Schwinn Airdyne stationary bike, a Bowflex Extreme II gym, free weights and an exercise mat. What I don't have is a comprehensive routine to take advantage of it all. And if I don't go along with the program, we'll see if I can exercise with my foot up my ass.

My next resolution is to write more. I began writing this blog to give myself the daily discipline of writing every day. So far -- mission accomplished. This is my 280th day in a row that I have posted. I have tried very hard to not become a "one note" blog. I have tried to be honest and interesting and inappropriately funny. (Individual tastes may vary.) What I haven't been able to do is to kick-start my serious writing. I have a lot of ideas and some decent beginnings on a number of projects but, to be quite honest, I think my blogging time could be better spent on some bigger projects.

I had an initial goal of blogging every day for a year. I intend to honor the discipline of that goal. In the mean time, as the new year begins, I'm going to try to carve out more of my day to spend on these other projects. When I hit 365 blogs in late March 2007 I will decide if the blog is helping or hindering my serious writing. You, constant reader, will be the last to know.

My final resolution is world peace. My plan involves either inventing an impenetrable force field around America or using dozens of strategically placed nuclear devices across the middle east. Which one I use will depend on which is easier to accomplish on a $40 a week allowance.

Finally, just remember, resolutions aren't easy to keep. If they were, millions of people would make them every year.

.

No comments: