Sunday, August 06, 2006

What's the Big Idea?

A lot of people ask me where my ideas come from. I usually point to a dark ring around my right wrist, "Some of them I just pull right out of my ass." I say.

"No you don't!" they argue. "Where do they really come from?" they insist.

"I didn't say I pull them all out of my ass. But some of them are harder to come by than others." I continued.

"Sometimes I have conversations with people and they give me an idea. Sometimes I mine for one within the same conversations. Perhaps we touched upon a social theme that, if taken to absurd lengths, would make a good blog. I've had real life incidents that have become funny when retold. I have known people who have said or done things too stupid to ignore. Marriage is fertile ground for satire. So are threats of bodily harm."

"But where do the really good ones come from?" they persisted.

"Oh, the really good ones." I said as if I finally understood the question. "Well there are certain universal themes in life. Love, hate and greed are probably the root themes. Springing from them are things like patriotism and jealousy and lust. They're always good for a laugh."

"So, like, you're not going to tell me?" they finally say.

"I have been telling you." I insist. "You just want to hear something magical when the answer is actually quite mundane. Now, if you'll excuse me." I moved to get up.

"Where are you going?" they ask.

"You just gave me an idea for a blog and I have to go wash the shit off my wrist."

No comments: