Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Weasel Clause

I read an article that ended with an interesting spin, yesterday. I wonder if the guy being interviewed ever listens to himself?

Apple Fires Retail Employees Who Downloaded Leopard by Brad Cook

Apple has fired at least five of its retail store employees, with dozens more potentially on the chopping block too, after they were overheard talking about downloading illegal copies of Mac OS X v10.5 "Leopard." Think Secret said that word of the discussions reached the company's Cupertino headquarters and prompted an investigation that resulted in the employees admitting what they did.

"All of us know that we violated our NDA and ethics policy," the web site quoted one of them as saying. "Therefore, because we had the character to tell the truth and to face the consequences of our actions, we were terminated. My only question is, if we all lied and denied it would we still be working at Apple today? Even more so, is that the kind of person that Apple wants working for them?"

Is he asking, "Does Apple want the kind of person who steals, lies and gets away with it to be working for them?" I don't think they do -- and how does that help his point?

Or, is he asking, "Does Apple want to lose people with enough character and integrity to admit to stealing, once they've been caught?" I don't think they do -- but where would that lead? Are people supposed to get points for truthfulness -- once they are backed into a corner? Would any kind of bad behavior become acceptable by invoking the "weasel clause"?

Charles Manson: "You got me, man. I admit it, I had those people killed because I was jealous of their success and I convinced those idiots who follow me that I was deep or something. But it was mostly the drugs. They make everything sound deep. . . . So do I get off now, or what?"

Bill Clinton: "I did smoke marijuana in college -- and I did inhale. I did run a phony land scam called Whitewater and used my political clout to cover my tracks. I did have sex with that woman -- and, yes, I do think blowjobs are sex. So, what do I win? . . . What do you mean nothing? . . . So you're saying that, as President, I could have lied about all of that stuff and gotten a pass from liberal America and the press? . . . That it would have all ended the same whether I lied or told the truth but I dragged America through eight years of shit for nothing? . . . Ah, man! I need a joint and a blowjob. Hillary!"

Former Apple Employee: "Yes, I violated Apple's non-disclosure agreement and their ethics policy. Yes, I released an extremely valuable and highly secret version of Apple's next operating system to the public. Yes, I know it could cause great financial harm to the people who put food on my table. But I have admitted to doing it. That's gotta be worth something. . . . What do you mean clean out my desk? . . . I'm an honest guy! I have character! . . . I told the truth, didn't I? . . . If I lied about stealing I'd still have my job -- wouldn't I? . . . Is that the kind of person you want working for you?"

Do you see what I mean? It didn't make any sense that time either? It's like a double-positive wrapped in an enigma. Or trying to understand the inner thoughts of a serial killer . . . or a politician.


No comments: