Saturday, August 12, 2006

Being Blogworthy

I spend a portion of every day wondering what tomorrow's blog is going to be about. My wife hates this exercise. It usually starts as soon as I publish my current blog.

She is usually at work and I call her as soon as I publish. She closes her office door, opens my blog page on her computer and reads it out loud to me. This serves several functions. It lets me share my newly written blog with someone; she gives me immediate feedback; and she acts as my final proof reader for each blog.

Better than 90% of the time she is surprised by the day's blog subject or content. This is because I typically do not know what tomorrow's blog will be about when I go to bed the night before. Occasionally I get a solid idea the day before and she and I and virtually everyone else I talk to about my writing will know what I'm going to write about tomorrow.

As you know, I write about things that grab my interest or my imagination. Usually I try to laugh at things, sometimes I have to yell at things in impotent rage. But I always have something to write about.

Yet I spend a good portion of every day convinced that "the well has run dry". I have written a daily blog (as of yesterday) for 141 days straight. I haven't "missed one" in four and a half months yet I keep thinking "today is the day."

So as soon as I hit the publish key, call my wife for feedback, and she reads it, she'll tell me, "See, you had something to write about."

My typical response is, "Yeah, but what am I going to write about tomorrow?"

I drive her and myself nuts with it every day. So she tries to give me ideas. Most of them aren't so good. In fact, most of them stink. Every now and then she tosses in a gem. That's why I keep her around. Neither of us have figured out why she keeps me around.

Some of the ideas she gives my are pretty good but they aren't what I consider to be "blogworthy." In order to be blogworthy an idea must:
  • capture my imagination
  • make me laugh or get me cranked up
  • cause me to spontaneously "spout off" for several minutes
  • have either a good "hook" or "punchline"
  • and not get me in too much trouble
The last one eliminates a lot of ideas. There are hundreds of things I could write about here at the nudist resort -- but this blog is about me, not other people. That is why I make occasional reference to where I live and how my lifestyle impacts my life but I rarely get too specific about our social life. People want to relax and let their hair down here. It is a place for them to forget the daily grind and to be themselves for a while. They don't want to end up in tomorrow's blog.

So I see and hear a lot of crazy stuff. Most of it is booze related but I am the soul of discretion. That's why I am the butt of so many of my own stories. I'm the only one who will sign the release form. Usually because I'm the only one at 7:00 AM who is sober enough to read and sign anything. It's sort of a "last man standing" thing.

This morning, I began asking myself if a blog about blogworthiness would be blogworthy. I didn't want to get involved in a self examining "navel inspection" but I thought it had potential. I think I'll call my wife and see what she thinks.

In the mean time, I wonder what I'm going to write about tomorrow?

No comments: