Friday, October 13, 2006

To Dream, Perchance To Sleep

I was having this really weird dream this morning. I was dreaming that we had moved into a new house. It was a huge place with many porches and entrances and stairways and big rooms with furniture I had never seen before.

In the dream I walk onto the deck and wonder why it looks so big and open when I realize that the table and chairs are missing. I look into the house, through a wide set of veranda doors and see the deck furniture is in the formal dining room. I remember thinking that my wife must have put the furniture inside for the winter but then I wondered where our regular dining room furniture was.

I began searching the house for the "missing" furniture. There were rooms with huge fireplaces and a library room like the rich people have in the movies that I can just barely afford the ticket for. And there are staircases going everywhere.

Apparently, my wife was away during the dream because I was batching it. I remember walking up this wide staircase, picking up clothing that I had left strewn around from previous days. As I'm doing so, the staircase begins to narrow and narrow until I am actually walking on the railing. Still picking up clothes while precariously balancing on a sloping wrought iron rail while thinking how inconvenient it was to get to the second floor.

I have never liked house pets. In my dream I sleep every night with a little kitten nestled in the crook of my arm. I can feel it purring contentedly. I remember, in the dream, having to get up in the middle of the night to pee. While I am peeing, many dogs and cats are wandering around me and rubbing against the backs of my legs. I am peeing into a plastic laundry basket. (The kind that looks like it is woven from something but is just molded white plastic with square holes where the fake weaving leaves gaps.) For some dream-reason the basket is 3/4 full of pee (despite the open design of the weaving) and I am thinking Nina better get home soon.

As I head back up the stairs and railing to the second floor I hear a stranger on the floor below me. I turn from my hand-over-hand ascent of the stairway to see an attractive woman looking up at me. I am marginally embarrassed because I am naked but mostly because of how I have to get to the second floor. She looks up, as if to speak, then turns and walks into another room. I yell down to let me know if she finds the dining room table in there.

The next thing I know I am back in bed, holding the kitten in the crook of my arm, when I hear a scampering noise coming up the stairs. It is a small black dog that jumps up on the bed and starts licking my face. As I am wondering why I have a dog and how it got up that railing-thingy it occurs to me that I didn't feed the animals yesterday. I better get up and do it now.

When I sat up, it was in my bed, and the weird dream was over. I had awakened at exactly 6:30 AM (without the alarm) and it was time to write my daily blog.

No comments: