Monday, October 23, 2006

How's the Writing Coming?

People often ask me, "How's the writing coming?"

The short answer would be, "Pretty good."

But most people would find that too vague. So I usually tell them about the outlines I have going for several stories or novels and how, in my work style, writing is not a linear process. That it is all about the outline and structure of the tale and that once I get that where I want it, it is just a matter of writing scenes to flesh it all out.

But most people's eyes glaze over after I mention "outlines." So I've taken to telling them about my daily blog to give them something concrete to deal with and I mention that I have several bigger projects at various stages of development.

"Um, . . . bigger than the Internet?"

"No. Bigger than my blog."

"Oh. Uh, . . . so, like, um . . . when're you gonna have a book published?"

"That's a very good question, ' is my usual response to that. The truth of the matter is that I don't know when I will have a book or a story published or, at this point, how I will have it published.

I have a lot of projects that I am working on and I need to focus on just one or two of them. I am not sure if I will initially go with the typical submission, editor, publisher route or if some of the newer Internet or Publish On Demand options make more sense.

But all of this is putting the cart before the horse . . . sort of. I probably should decide upon a mode of publishing so as to tailor a project to it. On the other hand, I could just let the story go where it does and then decide what is the best means of publishing.

As you can see, I have a lot of options spinning around the ol' noggin'. As well as the couple of dozen new story ideas and the outlines and chapters that I have finished. I know, it seems like chaos, but I do have a sense of order and a plan. It just seems like chaos right now. Like a house that is half built; with open framing and unfinished stairways and workmen running everywhere and decisions to be made and trucks parked in the mud that will someday be a lawn. It just seems like chaos.

So that's why when people ask me, "How's the writing coming?" I am inclined to just shrug and say, "Pretty good."

No comments: