Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Bicentennial Blog

I've never been a fan of celebrating minor events. Things like, "Mark and I are going out to dinner tonight. Today is the three month anniversary of our second date." How do you respond to something like that? So, I look at her and mumble congratulations and I look at him and give him one of those "Dude?!?" guy looks.

My mother used to get really pissed off if I didn't send her a greeting card for every holiday. I'm not talking about Christmas and birthdays and Mother's Day. I mean things like Easter and Columbus Day. And the really funny thing was, she would get mad at my wife for not sending a card -- not me. She always figured it was the wife's responsibility to make sure her husband signed frivolous holiday cards. One time, she wouldn't talk to Nina for months because she didn't get a Memorial Day card. It actually turned out to be a pleasant summer.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have two adult sons who completely missed our 25th and 30th anniversaries. I blame their wives.

Today is a minor milestone. In level of importance, it falls somewhere between Darwin trying to explain away his vestigial tail and something called roach paste. Today marks the publishing of my 200th blog. I have published a new, original, at times marginally entertaining blog every day for 200 days straight. I haven't missed a day.

I feel like Hallmark should have a new category. I'm not sure but I think this qualifies for bonus miles on my oral sex punch card. I want to do something special but all of the nudists are gone for the season. I feel like Punxatawney Phil when he sneaks out for an early morning piss and a thousand TV cameras capture the moment. It's just so exciting!

I'm not really certain what is special about 200. I guess it's a nice round number and sounds like it ought to be a big deal. But don't worry about me. I promise to stay grounded and sensible. I'm just going to spend the day puttering around the house, doing a few chores, running out to the cleaners to pick up my tux. Things like that.

I wonder if I can get my card punched in the back of the limo?

No comments: