Saturday, June 24, 2006

Teenie, Tiny Flowers

I was talking with my son the other day and I was trying to reassure him that I was thriving on retirement. At one point the conversation turned introspective.

I told him about some flowers I had noticed in our graveled parking area. Even though we have gravel, there are also weed-like creatures living there. The ones I noticed have teenie , tiny, little red flowers. The flowers are smaller than a pencil's eraser. They are a very brilliant red and have bright yellow pestles(?) in their centers.

If you did not happen to be looking down at just the right moment you would completely miss them. But once you've seen them, you realize that they are everywhere. And they are so perfect and delicate and beautiful that they will completely mesmerize you.

I told him that I never took the time before I retired to notice these kind of exquisite details in life. And that I am so grateful, now that I have the time, to actually see them.

There was silence on the other end of the phone line and finally my son said, "Dad, you have really got to get a job or a hobby or something."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Roundup or Oust will solve your problem.