Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Retirement Myth

I always said I would have plenty to do when I retired. But this is ridiculous!

Part of my problem is organization. I think I have too much of it. Back when I was gainfully employed I had the same problem. While my coworkers were out golfing or having dinner with their families or generally relaxing, I would be at my desk writing reports or preparing for tomorrow's work. I had a job where you could skate by at 20-30 hours a week. I never learned how to skate.

Now that I have "all the time in the world" I still need more. And it's kind of ironic because I have always been a firm believer in "work smarter, not harder". I figured if you could get organized in the beginning then the job would be easier down the road. Do all the heavy lifting up front. And for the most part, this seems to work out.

But my problem is I tend to over-prepare. My workshop has to be cleaned up from the last job and prepared for the next one. If I build anything I usually draw up diagrams and make a list of materials (on hand and needed to buy). Then there is the trip to Lowes to get the needed materials. Then I go over my plans again, lay all my tools out, and jump in. My projects usually turn out pretty well, with few hitches or mis-steps. However, my "planning and preparing" usually takes twice as long as the actual job.

Also, let me tell you, there is no such thing as "maintenance free". Entropy destroys that notion. From the day you buy, build or fix something it is aging, fading, rusting and wearing out.

Living in the Poconos, we have a short, five month, season for the resort. During this time I try to do as little as possible. I like to hang out at the pool and generally be accessible for the variety of mischief that goes on around here. At least that's the plan.

But I write my blog every morning, exercise, shower, take out the garbage, police the deck for yesterday's debris (empties, ashtrays, etc.) and look for anything needing repaired. I usually try to read a couple of books a week. Also, weekly, I maintenance the hot tub, cut the grass, weed whack, check the batteries in the golf cart, oil and gas in the ATV, inspect the cars for problems, sweep the driveway, pull weeds, etc. And these are my summer, light schedule, chores.

In the off season I tackle the bigger projects. Things like painting the garage, staining the deck, cleaning the gutters, planting shrubs, trimming trees and indoor remodeling and painting projects. In addition to everything from the previous list.

In the mean time, we have a busy social life and I am supposed to be writing "the great American novel".

So I'm beginning to not believe in this whole retirement myth. If anything, I'm busier than ever. But I do have a nice place to live, a beautiful wife and good friends to share it with, and "all the time in the world" to take care of it.

Now, if I could just get organized.

No comments: