Friday, June 16, 2006

Deja Vu All Over Again

Where does deja vu come from? We have all had the strong sense that certain events in our lives have happened before. Sometimes it is a social grouping or a conversation that sets it off. Sometimes a sequence of minor events occur that seem inevitable. It is almost like acting out a memory.

I have a theory, based upon my own personal experience.

The first thing you need to know, is that I have a very vivid dream life. I have very complex, hyper-realistic dreams with fully realized actions and events. Occasionally, I have the fantastic type of dream where I can fly or I am being chased by monsters. But, for the most part, it is as if I am living another life within my dreams.

The second thing you need to know, is that I remember my dreams. This point is key to our larger discussion. My memory of dreams is almost complete. I can awaken from a dream and it will stay with me all day. I can remember minute details as if they really happened.

Most people I talk to say they do not remember their dreams. In fact, I would say, the vast majority of people don't. And this might hold the key to deja vu.

I believe, based upon my own experience, that deja vu comes from precognative dreams. That, somehow, we are able, while dreaming, to see snippets of the future. Most of the time, people forget their dreams and have the deja vu moment, never knowing where it came from.

I believe this because I remember the dream while I am having the deja vu moment. So much so that I can often recite the next thing a person will say or to point out the next action that will occur. I used to amaze my wife with this trick, but she is used to it by now.

And I think deja vu is a mystery to most people because the vast majority of people simply do not remember their dreams.

So, what has been your experience?

Do you remember your dreams? If so, have you had a similar experience to mine? Do you remember having dreamt the deja vu moment?

Or do you have a different sense or theory as to it's origins?

If you are in the group that doesn't remember your dreams, have you ever had any sense of where deja vu comes from?

Medical science claims that there are vast areas of the brain that are seemingly unused. For some of us these areas are vaster than others. For those around us -- we remain the mystery.

No comments: