Thursday, September 28, 2006

An Economy of Movement

I believe in having a certain economy of movement. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean I am lazy because I am busy all the time. To me, it means I like to plan ahead. Here is an example:

I have been batching it all week while my wife is out of town. Today is the day I do the dishes. On the surface that might seem like I have a lot of dishes to do. But not really. I used paper plates and napkins when I could. I ate out once. And I usually skip breakfast.

So I stacked all of the dirty dishes in the sink until today. I figure I am actually saving money this way. I only have to make a sinkful of hot, soapy water one time instead of four. I only have to waste my time once. And when I am done I will have a greater sense of accomplishment than I would after four, individual minor accomplishments.

I dislike performing minor, repetitive tasks. That is probably why I never worked on an assembly line or was never real big on masturbation. I like the bigger, broader in concept, manly projects. Like turning a garage into an office or understanding women.

I like the feel of a power tool as it rips through wood like STDs through Junior High. I love the smell of deck stain in the morning. I love the feel of a hammer striking wood. Or even the tactile sensation of my fingers tapping on the keyboard. I don't really care for the grease lifting action of new Dawn. And I hate drying dishes.

So my MO is to plan ahead on the minor tasks. To group them into bigger, one time projects. We take our garbage to dumpsters here at the resort. I keep the small garbage bags in the garage until I have a "load". I usually like to maintenance both cars, the golf cart and the ATV all in the same afternoon. That way I deal with the tools, the oily rags and the fluids one time instead of four.

I guess what all of this means is that when I am sitting in my recliner watching an old, black and white movie or when I am reading or when I'm on the deck listening to music and smoking a cigar and the dishes are piling up in the sink, or there is garbage in the garage or the Wrangler is low on window washer fluid, I can honestly say, "I'm working on it. Hell, I've got three things going at once!"

No comments: