Wednesday, July 12, 2006

My Heroes Have Always Mumbled

We were sitting around the other day talking about our favorite movies and movie stars. Now, one of the things you have to know about me is that my brain is hard-wired differently than most people I know. I call it Big Picture thinking. It's what Robert Redford was supposed to be good at in Three Days of the Condor; taking seemingly random ideas and events and seeing the big picture that connects them.

Admittedly, a list of movie stars and celebrities already has connective tissue, but that didn't stop me from running it through the old noggin one more time. What I came up with is this. For some crazy reason, my favorite actors, singers and comedians all mumble.

Some of them mumble naturally and some of it was required for roles they played. But they all mumbled. And they were all on my A-list.

Some of my favorite singers are Bruce Springsteen, Margo Timmons of Cowboy Junkies, Julee Cruise and Randy Newman. Some comedians who have really cracked me up are W.C. Fields, Norm MacDonald, Pat Paulsen, Steven Wright, Pauly Shore, Tommy Chong, Woody Allen and Bobcat Goldwaith.

Of the actors, I have always enjoyed Jimmy Stewart, Sylvester Stalone, James Dean, Humphrey Bogart, Marlon Brando, David Jansen, Jim Backus, Christopher Lloyd, Buster Keaton and Gary Cooper.

I'm not really sure what this says about me. I think mumbling can denote a quiet, insecure, understated, little-boy charm. It can also evoke a tough and menacing presence. I've been accused of both at different times. (But I've always been misunderstood.)

Sometimes I mumble to see if people are paying attention. Sometimes I mumble when a response is required and I don't want to be heard. My wife will tell you, I mumble when I am distracted. Sometimes I can't even finish a thought. (And sobriety has nothing to do with it.)

All I know is, that I was surprised by the big picture on this one.

One of my favorite lines from a Bogie picture goes something like this, “You know what he'll do when he comes back? Beat my teeth out, then kick me in the stomach for mumbling.” (The Big Sleep – Humphrey Bogart, 1946)

You've gotta love it.

No comments: