Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Loud Talking Mommies

I think I've mentioned before that I'd rather not be around little children. They annoy me. The same way yappy little dogs and big over friendly dogs annoy me. They have no sense of personal space, are noisy, messy and they splash in the pool.

Many people have said that children should be seen but not heard. I disagree. I have advocated that they should not be seen either. I've said, for years, that children should be raised privately at home; that there should be underground tunnels to transport them to and from school, etc.; and we should never see them until they are 18+ and have passed extensive psychological testing.

The obvious exceptions would be my grandchildren and nice kids.

But, I've had occasion to leave the Compound quite a bit recently and am beginning to change my opinion. I think what is far more annoying than little children are loud mothers who insist on talking to, correcting, and (presumably) teaching their children in a VERY LOUD VOICE. Why does she think everyone else within a half a mile needs to know what a good f**king mommy she is?

"Look everybody, I'm tying little Billy's shoe and I want everyone to know!"

"Now I'm teaching little Susie to EAT. See how much SMARTER I am than my two year old!"

"Hey everybody! Tommy is misbehaving! Watch my parenting skills as I settle him down so as not to annoy you."

Why do mothers feel like everyone in the room needs to know everything that is happening with their kids? They do the most routine tasks and have to announce it to the room. It's like there is a cone of noise surrounding them.

Now, I realize that this may be their first crumb muncher and that they are unreasonably proud; or that since the kid, they have had no life of their own and think of loud talking as a way to re-connect with other adults, but they are wrong. They are more annoying than their children.

We usually ask to eat in the bar area of restaurants to avoid children and their loud talking mothers. The question should not be, "Smoking or non-smoking?" Non-smoking always means bouncing, messy kids and a gaggle of mommies who don't know how to use their inside voices. The question should be, "Would you like our Adult Section or do you enjoy the Feeding-Time-at-the-Zoo experience?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The worst place for this type of experience is on a plane since you are trapped and can not escape. Is it an airline requirement that on every flight there must be some screaming, foul smelling child accompanied by a parent(s) that has to talk to them like the parent has Downs Syndrome? When the parent finally decides to change the diaper, why do they do it at thier seat. Do they honestly think that the rest of us want to be treated to the smell of a dirty diaper? Maybe the fumes have killed off some brain cells that affect logic or they have become immune to the odor.

JoviFan said...

Oh, Oh...or how 'bout the mothers who use their baby carriages as assault weapons?