Friday, April 28, 2006

The Threshold

Sometimes people ask me why I want to be a writer if I grow up. The short answer is that I'm in love with words and ideas. A more detailed answer is found in the following metaphor.

Your mind is the key and writing is the door. It is the door to other places, other people, other times, other worlds, other ways of life - and other doors.

It is not unlikely that you will look through a door and see yourself and maybe your friends. For there is every personality, physiogomy, stature, and measure of greatness and weakness on the other side. You may find two young souls embraced in ardent love or the raging, bloody massacre of millions. You can pass through the door to the land of information - or maybe you prefer a little intrigue? Across the threshold you will discover the views of great men as well as the fools of history.

And never eliminate the possibility that you, yourself, might hold the key that fits the door of an, as yet, undiscovered country. Because within your mind are the materials for exploration and your pen wielding fingers are the skilled locksmith.

But, dear friend, even if you feel that all of the new doors are closed to you, open some old ones - open a book.

This was an essay that I wrote in 1968. I have never lost my love for words and ideas.

No comments: