Monday, February 19, 2007

Common Ground

I spent a lot of years moving around with my career. I've lived in the North-East, the Rocky Mountains, Georgia, Texas, and South Carolina and I've visited most of the other states.

During that time I've either attended or visited a wide variety of Christian churches and denominations. From stuff shirt Presbyterian and Methodist, to hyper-ceremonial Catholics, to evangelical Baptists and Brethren, to holy roller Pentecostal churches.

Their styles of worship and places in the community varied widely. Their views of man's relationship with God varied widely. Their views of Heaven and Hell varied widely. Their mechanisms for Salvation varied widely. The music they sang and the clothing they wore varied widely.

Most of the Christian churches in the world came to be because of splitting from other churches. Minor (and sometimes major) theological differences would cause divisions and charges of heresy, resulting in major divides in the church's family tree.




But there was one thing that every church and denomination I have ever encounter has agreed upon. Universally and without exception. The 10% tithe.

I'm not saying that it is a bad thing. In fact it is nice to see we have some common ground. We can sort out all that other stuff later.

.

No comments: