Sunday, November 19, 2006

Today's Word is "tedium"

I'm having a little trouble with this retirement thing. Maybe because I feel like I'm still too young to retire or maybe I feel like I am trapped in a repetitive lifestyle.

I spend my days keeping busy. Hell, I have enough stuff to do to last several lifetimes. I don't think it is the days I am complaining about. I think it is the people I have surrounded myself with. And I'm not quite sure what I mean be that, even. It's just that everything I do is the same. Every time I do it. Let me give you an example.

I went to a house party last night. It was hosted by nice people and all of the neighbors and summer regulars from the resort attended. There was plenty of good food, the music was tasteful and appropriately in the background, the small talk was pleasant but banal. And maybe that's the problem.

Banal is an adjective that means "so lacking in originality as to be obvious and boring". Now, I'm not saying anything was wrong with the party, itself. I believe the problem lies in my perception of things surrounding me. Everyone else was having a good time but I was just . . . there.

It's just that I have been to the same party more times than I care to remember. I make the same small talk with the same people; hear and tell the same jokes; laugh at the same anecdotes and drink the same booze. How many times can I go to the same party?

I think I need a change in my life. I spent 42 years in the workplace. The last fifteen years of it I traveled extensively in the northeast eleven states. I had variety and a change of scenery. Now, I haven't even gone on vacation in over three years. I just keep going to the same party with the same people.

I'm thinking about skipping the next party and going straight to the hangover.

.

No comments: