Wednesday, May 24, 2006

What was THAT About?

I like to make observations on life. Sometimes they are straight from the heart and should be taken at face value. At other times they are whimsical or humorous and should be seen as such. Sometimes they have an edge and may bite the overly sensitive reader.

Knowing the difference is to know me.

I have had friends say, "What was that about?" when I wrote a vignette about a cowboy and a gunfight. I could have told them it was about Man's spiritual self-destruction in his pursuit of revenge, or personal hygiene in the 19th century, or male dominance in western cinema. But it was about a cowboy and a gunfight. I just wanted to try my hand at writing a western scene.

I have a generally conservative slant on politics. Economically I am conservative. Socially I'm probably a Libertarian. In my personal life I am an anarchist.

I see humor in everything. Wildly inappropriate things. I was reading a newspaper story about a Little League pitcher who was struck by lightning while on the mound. He was blown out of his shoes and killed. My first comment was, "Wow, he must have been pitching a really bad game."

I am a Christian with a streak of irreverence a mile wide. I guess I don't like being told what to do. I have a deep personal faith that, if they suddenly came for all the Christians, I would be willing to die for; but until then, I'd rather not be overly inconvenienced.

I see the big picture. I think some things are soooo obvious that sometimes I'm puzzled when people say, "I never thought of it that way". Like on TV shows. If it is a police or detective mystery, a show where you don't know who the bad guy is until the end of the show, I always know who it is. Sometimes before they are done rolling the opening credits. I call it the Recognizable Guest Star Syndrome. TV shows can't usually afford BIG names but there is a cadre of recognizable character actors that make good villains. Unfortunately, this is about the only place they show up and their mere presence tips their hand. I ruin a lot of shows for my wife this way.

So sometimes I get passionate about one of my own hot button issues and sometimes I poke fun at yours. Hopefully, if I am occasionally offensive to some people, I am more frequently entertaining to others. I can't help myself. There is a lot of funny stuff going on.

I like to make observations on life and this is a pretty good place to do it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In a lot of ways our beliefs and interests are similar and I do enjoy this blog. If the views in this blog are not your cup of tea you can always reply with your view point or just not bring this blog up. Where I do diverge is if they were looking for all of the Christians I have a lot more interest in making them die then dying myself.