Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Name Game

You may have noticed a change in the name of this blog page. Most of you knew it as As Far As You Know... although for a few days in the very beginning it was called Blah, Blah, Blog. So why the name change? Mostly because I like the sound of Escape Velocity better. But also because my wife likes it better, too.

Blah, Blah, Blog was supposed to be witty and original. Until I did an internet search and discovered just how many witty and original people are out there in the blogosphere.

As Far As You Know... worked for me because it was something I say often enough that it sounds like something I would say. Even though I first heard Chevy Chase say it in Fletch. But for some reason, when someone would ask me the name of my blog I would either forget it or get tongue tied.

For years before I wrote this blog I've had a running commentary on life and the things around me. I would go off on weird tangents from seemingly normal conversations. I would make fun of TV shows and movie stars and satorize commercials. My wife used to tell our sons to step back because Daddy was reaching Escape Velocity. So, the other night, when she happened to mention I had reached escape velocity in a recent blog, we both looked at each other and said at the same time, "Escape Velocity!" So that's where the new name came from.

This got me to wondering what familiar titles used to be known by something else. And I found a few:
  • White Noise was originally called Panasonic
  • While You Were Sleeping was called Coma Guy
  • Pretty Woman was known as $3,000
  • Margaret Mitchell's Gone With the Wind was originally titled Fontenoy Hall
  • F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby was first called Trimalchio in West Egg
  • Woody Allen's Annie Hall was Anhedonia
  • Joseph Heller's Catch-22 was originally Catch-18
  • and Tennessee Williams considered naming A Streetcar Named Desire as Blanche's Chair in the Moon

I doubt anyone will ever include my blog on this kind of list but I do find it interesting that writers can create such memorable characters and places and still struggle with a name for it all. So I guess I'm in good company, even if they don't know I'm here yet.

No comments: