Monday, September 18, 2006

How Can I Put This?

I have a number of ways to avoid giving direct answers. I learned some of them while observing corporate weasels. Others came from the "keeping their options open" crowd. And some I came by honestly, having been married for 34 years.

I have heard and said such things as:
  • You'll never know the amount of craftsmanship that went into this product.
  • Purchasing our product will have a definite impact on your bottom line.
  • Dollar for dollar, this is the product I'd most like to sell you.
  • Let me check my calendar and I'll get back to you.
  • My wife/boss/secretary is in charge of my schedule.
  • Honey, don't we have that thing that weekend?
  • My cat/neighbor/grandfather/mom is dying/in poor health - so my time isn't my own.
  • Wow, hon. That dress is certainly something else.
  • You are the most gorgeous woman I'm talking to.
  • Hey, some of my best friends know people like that.
  • Mmmm, this chicken/soup/dessert is really interesting.
  • You'll never know how much I appreciate this.
  • Did you see that game this weekend?
  • If I don't write things down they never get done.
  • There's a good chance you'll see me there.
  • As far as you know . . .
  • No, those pants don't make your ass look big.
  • I feel a lot more like I do now than I did before I got here.
  • I was just thinking about calling you.
And . . .
  • Of course not, I had to get up to answer the phone, anyway.

No comments: