Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Fever Dreams

I've had the flu for three days now, and except for the sick and miserable part, it's been pretty cool. I'm talking about the medicine induced fever dreams.

I have always enjoyed a vibrant dream life. And I usually remember most of my dreams. I have idyllic sitting-by-the-stream dreams, highway dreams where I am driving a sleek black sedan down an endless night-time highway, busy dreams full of repetitive tasks that somehow hold the key to the universe, conversational dreams bubbling over with witty banter, lost-in-the-big-building dreams, erotic adventure dreams, and dreams populated with dead relatives.

But fever dreams are the best. In them I go furthest afield from my known realities. Lovecraftian Cthulhu-type monsters, my wife cast as an evil nemesis, cars going up hills so steep they fall over backwards, at times I possess the power of self-flight, or I experience life aboard a generation ship wandering aimlessly among the stars, and floating. Everything is floating, lifting, spinning. I try to raise my arm and my hand is the size of a small car. I turn it this way and that, marveling that I can move something that size. I lay my hand on the covers and feel an immense weight upon my leg, my eyes close again, my arms and legs receding to nothingness as I float effortlessly above a blackened, surreal landscape of charred tree stumps and ground fog, back lit by a purplish glow. Suddenly something moves. It is approaching rapidly. Too fast for me to get out of the way. I can't see what it is through the mist. I hear a growl, deep throated and hungry. I try to turn and slip in some wet muck. I can hear claws on cobblestone and now I can see red eyes penetrating the Stygian darkness, another brief moment of floating, and a weight lands on my chest . . . I jerk awake.

I lay there, sheets soaked with night sweats, heart pounding, my hands gripping the blanket. My breathing is shallow, wheezing; my head aching too much to turn it. And as the dream is shredded and blown away like night fog in the morning breeze, I think, "Cool."

No comments: