Friday, March 31, 2006

Zen and the Art of Deck Staining

Well, Spring is here again and since this is an even numbered year (2006) it is deck staining time! Yeahhhhh! I reserve the odd numbered years for major yard work or for house repair.

I live at a nudist resort and (weather permitting) I do everything in the nude. This may or may not mean anything to this story but I get a kick out of saying it.

I think it was Spider-man who didn't say that "With great tasks also comes great advice." And AFAYK this is often true. In this case, I have a neighbor who never tires of telling me how I do things the wrong way. Take staining my deck for instance. It is slow, tedious, back breaking work. My neighbor, also named John, thinks it is stupid to do it the slow, hard way. He says I should use a spray applicator and turn my four day job into several hours. But, of course I'd have the additional expense of the spray gun, I'd have to cover the house siding, the hot tub and all the plants to protect them from over-spray and I'd probably have to come up with some sort of thinning mixture to keep the sprayer from clogging. Then I would have to brush out the areas where the spray overlapped to make it look good.

That sounds like a lot of work and a lot of potential things that could go wrong. My way is I take my clothes off (heh! heh!), open the can of stain, and brush it onto the wood. Eventually I'm done.

I guess the thing is, nobody likes unwanted advice. And, in this case, John is wrong on two counts. First, Rule # 64 in the Guy Handbook clearly states that one guy should never tell another guy that he is doing something the wrong way. That job is reserved for women. Guys should only tell other guys how they would have done it themselves.

And the second thing that John is wrong about is that he thinks I am staining my deck...I'm working on my tan.

No comments: