Saturday, March 25, 2006

Deal or No Deal

I have been watching Deal or No Deal recently and I've begun to wonder how much pseudo-drama Howie Mandell can continue to generate for such a one note show. How many times can we hear (after the contestant chooses the $1,000,000 case) "That's alright. You STILL have $200,000 on the board."? Or "How would $27,000 change your life?"?

And then there are the lamo contestants, like the Mr. Mom who gave a heart felt speach about never stop daring to dream. I guess he's used to setting his sights pretty high.

Don't get me wrong, it's still pretty good TV and although it IS getting a little repetitive, NBC is making money, Howie is making money, the audience is dreaming vicariously through the contestants and getting to admire the sexy girls who are in turn showcasing their obvious talents, and I'm not sure whether I'm bitching or not.

What would YOU do with $1,000,000? Or $50?

1 comment:

JoviFan said...

I have also wondered how Howie manages to keep up the enthusiasm on such a (to borrow your words) "one note" show. How many times can he pretend to be shocked by what "the banker" offers the contestant? I have only seen one show, and although the premis is incredibly simplistic, I have to admit that I had fun watching! For some really great TV, I encourage you to watch the Trump Apprentice show!